NHV Hat Contest
- The contest is open to every milliner/hatter worldwide.
- You must register for participation before January 31st, 2021, using the registration form on the NHV website.
- Payment of the participation fee is paid for via the NHV website at time of registration.
- Should you withdraw from the contest by not submitting a hat or for whatever reason, the entry fee will not be refunded.
- Your entry, be it a (cocktail) hat, fascinator or headpiece, must be an original design, made especially for this contest. It must be handmade by you and fulfil the theme of the contest. The hat may not have previously been shown nor may closely resemble any other entries submitted earlier.
- You may make a ladies or gents hat.
- Your hat must be made from the contest material that you receive after registration. When making your contest hat, any way of modifying the permitted material is allowed, for example painting, deconstruction, deformation, etc. However, a limiting condition is that you may only use supporting materials but not any additional material. An exception to this is the use of alternative materials as decoration or garnish, which are only permitted as long as the Panama straw continues to play the leading role. Not all of the Panama straw sent to you needs to be used.
- Your package with Panama straw will be sent to the address that you specify in the week after your registration.
- You may not post photos of your entry on any social media or on your website prior to the announcement of the winners by the jury on contest day.
- The hat must be qualitatively and professionally in order (hat craftsmanship).
- The hat should be portable, comfortable and balanced. It should be suitable for a female model, sized 57-58 cm, or for male model, sized 59-60 cm.
- Entries will be judged blindly. Any name or (brand) labels in or on the hat are therefore not allowed and can disqualify the entry.
- The seam of the inner band indicates the centre back. If this is not possible due to the design, indicate with a cross in a contrasting colour where the centre back is.
- The Jury will assess to what extent you have complied with the contest conditions. In the event of non-compliance with the conditions, the jury may disqualify the contest hat.
- A submission may be refused without stating a reason why.
- Each participant may enter a maximum of one hat.
Providing the hat and information
- We ask you to provide the following information twice; once printed on an A4 sheet with your parcel and once digitally via the hat entry form at the website:
- A description of your source of inspiration (for example, description of idea, symbolism), the text may be a maximum of 75 words.
- Statement of the materials used
- Sales price (including VAT and sales commission)
- Title of the work
- Photo of a person wearing the contest hat that clearly shows how you prefer the hat to be worn, as reference for description and preparations (photos should be digital, copyright free, in. jpg format)
- The address where your hat should be returned to after the contest.
- The text that you send digitally will be included in the photo booklet associated with the contest. So deliver it on time!
- The hat must be delivered by April 25th, 2021 to the Dutch Hat Association: Mauvestraat 57, 2596 XP The Hague, The Netherlands. If the hat is not delivered on time, no photo can be taken of it and the hat will not be included in the contest photo booklet.
- Before publication in the contest photo booklet and on the website, your hat will be photographed on a model. The female model will wear her hair in a low bun during the photo shoot and the models (male / female) will be photographed from the front, or from the side where necessary.
- The entire hat must fit in a sturdy box, maximum 50 x 50 x 30 cm; pack and ship your hat in the smallest, sturdiest box possible! Hats in flimsy, oversized or inadequate boxes will be refused.
- Add a label or sticker in your box stating the address at which you wish the hat to be returned after the contest.
- Do not wrap the outside of your box with wrapping paper, etc., but use a box that can simply be closed with packing tape.
Exhibition and Return Shipping
- The contest hats will be exhibited in the CODA Museum in Apeldoorn for three weeks after the Contest Day (subject to change, depending on any measures related to the Covid 19 crisis).
- Your hat will be returned to the address that you provide at the end of the exhibition, unless you have indicated that you want to collect the hat yourself.
- The shipping costs will be invoiced to you after shipment by the Treasurer of the NHV.
- Of course we will take the utmost care of your hat, but for the record, we inform you that participation is at your own risk.