NHV Hat Competition
Competition Conditions 2023
- The competition is open to every hat maker worldwide.
- Your application for participation must be submitted before Mai 31st 2023 via the application form on the NHV website.
- Payment of the participation fee is done via the NHV website, at time of registration.
- Should you wish to withdraw from the competition after registration, please let the Competition Committee know by e-mail as soon as possible. This is to give other interested parties the opportunity to take the vacant place.
- If you withdraw from the competition or do not send in a hat for any reason, there will be no refund of the entry fee.
- Participants who do not submit a hat and do not contact the Competition Committee about it, may be excluded from participation the following year.
Competition Hat Conditions
Your entry, a (cocktail) hat, fascinator or other headwear, must be an original design, made especially for this contest. It must be handmade by you and meet our brief. The hat must not have been shown before or bear any great resemblance to previous entries.
You may make a women's or men's hat.Your hat, when folded, must fit in the cardboard box of 40 x 40 x 10 cm that you will receive at home after Please deliver your competition hat in the box you received from the Competition Committee, to the address provided. Your design, when unfolded, should be a fully-fledged, wearable hat. Also pay attention to the weight of the hat. The choice of material is free.
Your hat should not only unfold, but also fold itself again! This means that we must be able to pack your hat neatly in the box again, for example to be able to transport it from the jury location to the location of the Opening And to be able to send it back to you in good condition after the competition of course. We therefore ask you to attach a manual to your hat, in case the folding process is not self-evident.
The Jury will take all these elements into account. The judgment of the jury is final and no correspondence will be made regarding the results.
The box of 40 x 40 x 10 cm will be sent to the address you provided after you have registered.
You may not show any photos of your entry on social media or on your website before the winners are announced by the Jury on the day of the competition, Oktober 21, 2023.
The hat must be of good quality and craftsmanship (hat craftsmanship).
The hat should be wearable, comfortable and balanced. In the case of a women's hat, it should be suitable for size 57 - 58 cm and in the case of a men's hat, it should be suitable for size 59 - 60 cm.
The entries will be judged blindly. (Name/brand/label) tags in, or on the hat are therefore not allowed and may be reason to disqualify the entry.
The seam of the (inner) band is centre back. If this is not possible because of the design, indicate with a cross in a contrasting colour what the centre back is.
The Jury will judge to what extent you have adhered to the competition conditions. In case of non-compliance, the Jury may decide to disqualify your competition hat.
Work can be refused without explanation.
Each participant may submit a maximum of one hat.
Hat Delivery and Information
- We ask you to supply the following information twice, once printed on an A4 sheet in your mail package and once digitally, using the appropriate form, which can be downloaded from the website under "Information Form Hat Competition":
- Title of the work
- A description of your source of inspiration (e.g. description of your idea, symbolism), the text may not exceed 75 words.
- Statement of the materials used
- Sales price (including VAT and possible sales commission)
- Photo of a person wearing your hat showing how you would like to see the hat being worn, as a reference (photos digital, free of rights, in jpg format)
- A manual for folding and unfolding your headgear when this is not self-evident, with photos if necessary. Take note: It's a Hat Competition, not a puzzle competition!
- The address where your hat should be returned to after the competition.
- The text that you send digitally will be included in the photo book made for this competition. So deliver this on time!
The hat has to be sent in before September, 9th 2023 to:
De Nederlandse Hoedenvereniging
c/o Charlotte Josephine Specken
Stan Kentonstraat 21
3069 XW Rotterdam
If the hat is not delivered on time, no photo can be taken of it and the hat will not be included in the competition booklet.
For publication in the competition photo booklet and on the website your hat will be photographed on a model. During the photoshoot, the female model will wear her hair in a bun and the models (M/F) will be photographed from the front, or possibly from the side.
The entire hat, when folded, must fit in the box of 40 x 40 x 10 cm that you have received.
Include in your box a label or tag indicating the address to which you wish the hat to be returned.
Do not pack the outside of the box (in which you sent the hat) with wrapping/packing paper, etc., but use a box that can be closed with packing tape.
Entries From Abroad
Participants are requested to familiarise themselves with the provisions applicable in their country regarding the shipment of packages. For shipments from outside the EU, if you indicate the value of your hat on the outside of the package, in some cases import duties must be paid at customs. In that case, the NHV will only accept the package after the costs are paid by the participant.
Exhibition and Return Shipping
The competition hats will be exhibited for three weeks after the competition day (subject to any measures related to the Covid 19 crisis).
Your hat will be returned to you at the end of the exhibition, unless you have indicated that you would like to collect it yourself.
Please note: Unlike previous years, hats will not be returned to The Hague after the exhibition.
You can pick up your hat at the delivery address: Charlotte Josephine Specken, Stan Kentonstraat 21, 3069 XW Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Please email email@example.com in advance to make an appointment.
The shipping costs will be invoiced to you two weeks before shipment by the Treasurer of the NHV.
Of course we will take utmost care of your hat, but for the record, we inform you that participation is at your own risk.